“A spine chilling talent…” - Toronto Star
“…Funky-Jazzy-Reggae conscious Folk-Pop that enters your ear like cotton candy melts on your tongue.” - Northeast In Tune Magazine
“Stunning vocals...Emotionally compelling and multi-layered...” - Monkeybiz.ca
Grateful Recipient of…
- Ontario Independent Music Award for Best Female Performer (2008)
- Ontario Independent Music Award for Best Folk (2007)
- Toronto Independent Music Award for Best Jazz and nomination for Best Live Acoustic Act (2006)
- CBC Galaxie Rising Star Award (2005)
- OCFF Songs from the Heart political song award for “Reverence and Ridicule” (2005)
- American Independent Music Award nomination for Best Folk/Singer-Songwriter (2005)
Invitations to Showcase at…
- Blue Skies Music Festival (2008)
- Toronto City Roots Festival (2006, 2007, 2008)
- North by Northeast Music Festival (2004, 2005, 2008)
- Rochester International Jazz Fest (2007)
- New Music West (2006, 2007)
- Toronto Indie Music Week (2006)
- Winterfolk Festival (2005, 2006)
- Ottawa Folk Festival (2005)
Soul-Folk songstress Layah Jane is a hearty young musician with a mission. With soulful vocals and a poetic, articulate tongue, Layah’s sound recalls Joni Mitchell, Rickie Lee Jones and Phoebe Snow, with a resonance all her own.
Layah's highly anticipated and critically acclaimed full-length sophomore release, "Brightness & Bravery" (Grace Note Records, 2008) was produced by Oliver Johnson (Esthero, Divine Brown), and is a rich and sonically intimate offering. A collection of Canada’s finest players offered their musical blessing: Ben Riley (Bruce Cockburn), Mark Mariash (Ron Sexsmith, Sarah Slean), Bryden Baird (Feist), Lyle Molzan (Jann Arden), Marc Rogers (K’naan, Philosopher Kings), Brian MacMillan (Kevin Hearn, Barenaked Ladies) and Burke Carroll (Kathleen Edwards) among others.
Equally at home onstage as in the studio, 2007 and 2008 have proven to be the busiest touring years to date for Layah, with shows all over QC, ON, MB, SK, AB, BC, NY, MA, VT, NC, and TX.
Personal, political and passionate, Layah Jane’s music will speak courageous and tender, to the hungry hearts of poets, activists, and lovers alike.
|(I'm Layah Jane! Let me update my information!!)|